Wednesday, December 22, 2010

50 Questions to Ask Before Starting a Business

I found this article at Under30CEO.com. Obviously it gives you questions to answer so you get a better idea of how to start your business. What I find lacking though is the question "What do you want to do?". When I tell people that I started a business they always tell me that they also want to be an entrepreneur but they don't know what business to start.

I was just lucky I guess when I decided on what business I would start. Circumstances simply dictated that I start my own. It's just basically doing my old day job as a Business Development guy for an online advertising firm and doing it on my own. Since the online marketing industry is new in the Philippines the market is still ripe for people like me to get jobs as digital marketers or actually starting my own. I just simply cut the option of going back to corporate and went pursue my own online thing.

Since the industry is new, I really embraced it an did a lot of research online. This blog is actually a result of me embracing it and trying to learn more about the industry and putting all the stuff I learn about it here on this blog to share it as well.

People tell me how lucky I am that I know what type of business to start and i don't know how to answer their question on what they should start. The standard answer would be is what is your passion? What do you like doing? - But, if I ask myself the same questions I actually don't have the answers as well. My business is simply an opportunity that I jumped into.

For people who would have to support a family making the decision to start a business is much more difficult because of the risks involved. They really must think it out. This is why I tell my younger friends to start as early as they can because you won't have the same circumstances again where there is less to lose.

If then asked the question on what I should start. I think this may be the best answer. Start by buying a franchise and get entrepreneurship skills. Once you are getting enough income from that franchise let go of the day job and push it a notch higher and start studying other options. But I think the key is to JUMP!! If you forever hold on the security of a corporate job you can never be an entrepreneur.

Just do it as they say....

No comments:

Post a Comment