Monday, March 1, 2021

Spoken Word Poetry in the Biggest Stage

I want to try and post something in this blog once a day for 21 days. Yes, that's how they sat you build a habit, and I want to be more consistent in posting. About 10 years ago I was consistent in posting something on the blog. Most of the time I just cheated because I mostly re-posted articles, videos, infographics with minimum comments or no comments at all. This was really just for the sake of having content. Lately though, while I don't post much. I try to write something or add my insights to videos I post. I found this blog post of TED in 2011 about spoken word poetry. It was a talk by Sarah Kay and I was enamored by her talk and poetry. 

Ten years later, on the biggest stage I came across poetry again. It was "The Hill We Climb" performed by Amanda Gorman during the inauguration of President Joe Biden. The event, the circumstances around the event and the past 4 years which lead to the inauguration plus the eloquence, the delivery and the message made for such a powerful moment in my opinion. The intelligence, the eloquence, talent and wit on how it was written and delivered made me look for more Amanda Gorman. Her interview exudes all things I said about the piece and the person. Amanda went on to do the rounds in all the morning and talk shows and one of the most wonderful interviews she had was with James Corden. I will post the interview below and a video of her performing her poem accompanied by piano. 

Watch, enjoy, be moved and inspired by her eloquence and intellect. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment