Monday, February 25, 2019

Why We Buy

In a previous post I mentioned that the problem is consumerism and this provides a reason why we buy. On a recent trip to Decathlon, I found myself buying something I though I needed because it was strategically placed on your way to the check out counter. It was relatively cheap and it was right there within my reach....so I grabbed and purchased it. Based on this video selling cheap may be a strategy so you simply buy stuff because you think you need it but really don't. After this you don't bother to return (in terms of an online purchase) or use it since it was so cheap anyway. The video also says that buying more has an evolutionary reason since in the past, during the hunting gathering phase of  humanity, we needed to accumulate stuff, the necessities, in order to live in the longer. More food, resources for shelter the better. But now, almost everyone who has the means are trapped by the mentality to buy more. Sadly, due to income inequality some people can buy while some people can't.


No comments:

Post a Comment