Monday, August 5, 2019

Jollibee, the Pride of the Philippines

I just recently studied and invested into the stock market. The most basic suggestion depending on what your goals were was to invest into the blue chip stocks. Since I didn't have much money to place into stock I am only able to choose a few stocks and Jollibee is one of the stocks I chose. Here are some of the reasons I chose this stock:

1. Brand recall. They are the most dominant quick serve restaurant (QSR) chain in the Philippines today is one of a few local companies with a vision to go global.
2. As mentioned, they are going global. They have already purchased several local companies like Mang Inasal and Chowking. They are slowly opening branches where there are a huge number of Filipinos abroad. They have recently purchase some foreign brands. At that time I bought into the market Smash Burgers were one of the purchases. A week or so ago the bought Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf.
3. I am a consumer of their products. While McDonald's is my go to fast food I would eat Chicken Joy and Chowking is a favorite as well.
4. Since I have no plans of playing the market JFC (as listed in the stock exchange) was a logical pick.

My stock picks were doing great for the first six months until Jollibee started pulling it down by a few percentage points. After doing some research (Google) it seems the purchases didn't look that good since these companies were essentially bleeding. But as the articles pointed out, it's hard to purchase companies that are doing well and as a growth strategy to get foothold in different global markets you have to make strategic moves that can move the company forward in the future while taking short term losses.

After doing research in the stock market and given that my investment in Jollibee is a long term play, I still believe it's a good stock pick. Since I didn't know how to read the market my timing probably wasn't the best. As a first timer though, I believe that he who hesitates loose. If I didn't invest in stock at that time I probably wouldn't ever. If I had more money, now may be a good time to buy since it's down.

Here's a video about Jollibee.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment