Wednesday, July 27, 2016

The New Warrior KD

The internet blew up with the announcement of Kevin Durant heading for the Golden State Warriors. I wasn't a fan when Lebron James made the announcement to bring his talents to south beach and I'm still not a fan of 'manufactured' championships. I'd prefer loyalty over championships and earning it the old fashioned way - having a few pieces and building around it and not getting superstars to deliver the ring.
Picture 'stolen' from the internet.
This is not about the transfer though, it's more about what I miss in the NBA and what I feel KD will bring to the Warriors. I didn't think the Warriors were great in close games, they got the regular season record because they blew out the competition and the MVP was at his best chucking them threes. The playoffs proved my point, when defenses got tighter the Splash Brothers shooting percentages went down.

I don't think the Splash Brothers are clutch. Yes, you will play the percentages and they will make them but when they need to carry the team they'd just keep chucking shots. Here's were I see KDs value comes - he scores when needed. He doesn't just rely on his jump shot, which is unstoppable at 6'9 but he's proven he can score in different ways when needed.

Having KD does not guarantee a championship but I feel they'll have a more reliable player who can carry the scoring inside and out when needed. Heck, it will open up more opportunities for the Splash Brothers who will hit more unbelievable threes next season.

I missed the stars carrying the team in the NBA. As the team game is wonderful to watch just like what the Spurs winning tradition has shown, I miss the stars taking over the team. The Dominique vs Bird, Jordan vs Barkely, Magic vs Bird - I just don't see this on the NBA anymore. Lebron can do it but I don't see any other guy who can match up to him and he still prefers the 'team' concept vs "give me the ball" I'll take this (unless necessary but it didn't work in the 2015 finals, he got tired).

To get my point I'll just share this video: AI vs VC. Game 5 and the stars came out to play.

No comments:

Post a Comment