Friday, September 20, 2013

My Gadget Collection 2013

Four years ago I took a picture of my gadgets and posted it online essentially taking an inventory of all the tech stuff I had. Here's the link to my post. Below is a picture.


On New Years Eve last year (Dec 31, 2012), I wanted to post again. But obviously I forgot, so I'm posting it now. It's been nine months since and i didn't add or buy any new gadgets so below is the updated list.


What's the same:

1. The Macbook is still there it's now 6 years old. I still use it to surf the internet.
2. The 2nd generation iPod touch is still there. I can no longer upgrade the OS but it's still good to the ears. The memory is full to capacity though.
3. Canon S2 IS - I think the lates version of this is the S12. It's actually not in the picture since I used it for this particular picture. It's still a good camera but it's a bit too big to bring around. A smart phone now easily replaces this during travels.
4. I still have my Sun Broadband stick but I let go of my Smart. Sun proved to be more reliable but it's still quite slow at times.

Replaced:

5. Compaq laptop (now HP Mini) - this was actually replaced by my office then late that year. So I used the laptop for only a few months. The replacement is a HP Mini which is in the picture above. The hard drive was replaced twice but its good to go. So my work laptop is now 4 years old. After having the last hard drive replaced I haven't had any problems - maybe 2 years + now. The HP hard drives sucked, 1st time was under warranty and the 2nd time I used a different brand hard drive.
6. X-Mini replaced my woof mini speaker. I hardly use the speakers though.
7. I got a dual SIM Nokia brick phone. My Nokia N5000 died within 3 years and I gave up my Smart line.

Added:

Because in 2009 smart phone wasn't prevalent yet and wifi wasn't that important, I didn't need some of these. Obviously now it's quite important.

8. TP link wifi routers - I actually have 3 routers, a Sapido router which I keep in the car, a TP link router for the home and another mobile router which I can bring around. The other TP link router has a battery so I can carry it around. I just need my broadband stick and I'm always connected. My smart phone made it a necessity to have a router everywhere.
9. Two external hard drives - I bought these because my laptop's hard drive died on me 2x. I learned my lesson. Now I have one for the Mac and the other for the PC.
10. The most valuable new addition is my Samsung Note 1. It took me some time to purchase the Note because I waited for the prices to go down. Note 2 came immediately after and now Note 3 is upon us. I don't like replacing gadgets as you can see, so while I'm not really that happy with my Note it's got to do. I'll only replace it if it dies on me.

I bought the Note May last year and it's been an important part of my lifestyle - answering emails and being connected to SNS. So having a mobile device of some sort has become somewhat of a necessity now.

If resources permits, I'll probably get an iPad four for my work. Hopefully these gadgets last me a few more years.

No comments:

Post a Comment